Bist Du interessiert an einem neuen Job in IT-Sicherheit?
Secunia hat zwei freie Stellen als Junior und Senior Spezialist in IT- Sicherheit: http://secunia.com/secunia_vacancies/
TITLE: Mac OS X Security Update Fixes Multiple Vulnerabilities
SECUNIA ADVISORY ID: SA16920
VERIFY ADVISORY: http://secunia.com/advisories/16920/
CRITICAL: Highly critical
IMPACT: Security Bypass, Cross Site Scripting, Exposure of sensitive information, Privilege escalation, System access
WHERE: >From remote
OPERATING SYSTEM: Apple Macintosh OS X http://secunia.com/product/96/
DESCRIPTION: Apple has issued a security update for Mac OS X, which fixes 10 vulnerabilities.
1) A boundary error in ImageIO can be exploited to cause a buffer overflow and may allow execution of arbitrary code on a user's system when a specially crafted GIF file is opened e.g. in WebCore or Safari.
2) An error in Mail.app when processing auto-reply rules can cause an automatically generated response message to include a plain-text copy of the encrypted message. This may disclose certain sensitive information.
3) An error in Mail.app when using Kerberos 5 for SMTP authentication can cause un-initialized memory to be appended to a message. This may disclose certain sensitive information. For Mac OS X v10.4.2, the vulnerability was fixed in Security Update 2005-007.
For more information: SA16449
4) "malloc" creates diagnostic files insecurely when certain environmental variables are set to enable debugging of application memory allocation. This can be exploited by malicious, local users to create or overwrite arbitrary files.
5) A boundary error in QuickDraw Manager can be exploited to cause a buffer overflow and may allow arbitrary code execution on a user's system when a specially crafted PICT file is viewed e.g. from Safari, Mail, or Finder.
6) A validation error in the Java extensions bundled with QuickTime 6.52 and earlier can be exploited by untrusted applets to call arbitrary functions from system libraries. Systems with QuickTime 7 or later, or Mac OS X v10.4 or later, are not affected.
7) A vulnerability in Ruby can be exploited by malicious people to bypass certain security restrictions. Systems prior to Mac OS X v10.4 are not affected.
For more information: SA15767
8) A validation error in Safari when rendering web archives from a malicious site can be exploited to execute arbitrary HTML and script code in a user's browser session in the context of another site. For Mac OS X v10.4.2, the vulnerability was fixed in Security Update 2005-007.
For more information: SA16449
9) An error in the SecurityAgent may cause the "Switch User..." button to be displayed even when the "Enable fast user switching" setting has been disabled. This may allow malicious, local users to access the current user's desktop without authentication even when the "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver" setting is enabled.
10) A validation error in the Authorization Services "securityd" allows unprivileged users to gain certain privileges that should be restricted to administrative users. This can be exploited by malicious, local users to gain escalated privileges.
SOLUTION: Apply Security Update 2005-008.
Mac OS X 10.3.9: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/securityupdate2005008macosx1039.html
Mac OS X 10.4.2: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/securityupdate2005008macosx1042.html
PROVIDED AND/OR DISCOVERED BY: 2) Norbert Rittel, Rittel Consulting 3) MIT Kerberos Team 4) Ilja van Sprundel, Suresec LTD 5) Henrik Dalgaard, Echo One 6) Dino Dai Zovi 9) Luke Fowler, Indiana University Global Research Network Operations Center
ORIGINAL ADVISORY: Apple: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302413
OTHER REFERENCES: SA15767: http://secunia.com/advisories/15767/
About: This Advisory was delivered by Secunia as a free service to help everybody keeping their systems up to date against the latest vulnerabilities.
Definitions: (Criticality, Where etc.) http://secunia.com/about_secunia_advisories/
Please Note: Secunia recommends that you verify all advisories you receive by clicking the link. Secunia NEVER sends attached files with advisories. Secunia does not advise people to install third party patches, only use those supplied by the vendor.