Reporter Symantec Security Response
Microsoft Windows is prone to a local privilege-escalation vulnerability. A local attacker can exploit this issue to execute arbitrary code in kernel mode with elevated privileges.
- Microsoft Windows 7 for 32-bit Systems SP1
- Microsoft Windows 7 for x64-based Systems SP1
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 for Itanium-based Systems SP1
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems SP1
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems SP2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems SP2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems SP2
Permit local access for trusted individuals only. Where possible, use restricted environments and restricted shells.
To exploit this vulnerability, an attacker requires local access to an affected computer. Grant local access for trusted and accountable users only.
Updates are available. Please see the references or vendor advisory for more information.