Reporter Symantec Security Response
Microsoft Windows is prone to a local privilege-escalation vulnerability. A local attacker can exploit this issue to execute arbitrary code with elevated privileges and gain access to kernel memory.
- Microsoft Windows 8 for 32-bit Systems
- Microsoft Windows 8 for x64-based Systems
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 for 32-bit Systems
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems
- Microsoft Windows RT 8.1
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
Permit local access for trusted individuals only. Where possible, use restricted environments and restricted shells.
To exploit this vulnerability, an attacker requires local access to an affected computer. Grant local access for trusted and accountable users only.
Updates are available. Please see the references or vendor advisory for more information.