The kernel packages contain the Linux kernel, the core of any Linux
the exit_notify() function in the Linux kernel did not properly reset the
exit signal if a process executed a set user ID (setuid) application before
exiting. This could allow a local, unprivileged user to elevate their
privileges. (CVE-2009-1337, Important)
the Linux kernel implementation of the Network File System (NFS) did not
properly initialize the file name limit in the nfs_server data structure.
This flaw could possibly lead to a denial of service on a client mounting
an NFS share. (CVE-2009-1336, Moderate)
Bug Fixes and Enhancements:
Kernel Feature Support:
- added a new allowable value to "/proc/sys/kernel/wake_balance" to allow
the scheduler to run the thread on any available CPU rather than scheduling
it on the optimal CPU.
- added "max_writeback_pages" tunable parameter to /proc/sys/vm/ to allow
the maximum number of modified pages kupdate writes to disk, per iteration
- added "swap_token_timeout" tunable parameter to /proc/sys/vm/ to provide
a valid hold time for the swap out protection token.
- added diskdump support to sata_svw driver.
- limited physical memory to 64GB for 32-bit kernels running on systems
with more than 64GB of physical memory to prevent boot failures.
- improved reliability of autofs.
- added support for 'rdattr_error' in NFSv4 readdir requests.
- fixed various short packet handling issues for NFSv4 readdir and sunrpc.
- fixed several CIFS bugs.
Networking and IPv6 Enablement:
- added router solicitation support.
- enforced sg requires tx csum in ethtool.
x86, AMD64, Intel 64, IBM System z
- added support for a new Intel chipset.
- added initialization vendor info in boot_cpu_data.
- added support for N_Port ID Virtualization (NPIV) for IBM System z guests
- added HDMI support for some AMD and ATI chipsets.
- updated HDA driver in ALSA to latest upstream as of 2008-07-22.
- added support for affected_cpus for cpufreq.
- removed polling timer from i8042.
- fixed PM-Timer when using the ASUS A8V Deluxe motherboard.
- backported usbfs_mutex in usbfs.
- updated eHEA driver from version 0078-04 to 0078-08.
- updated logging of checksum errors in the eHEA driver.
Network Driver Updates:
- updated forcedeth driver to latest upstream version 0.61.
- fixed various e1000 issues when using Intel ESB2 hardware.
- updated e1000e driver to upstream version 0.3.3.3-k6.
- updated igb to upstream version 1.2.45-k2.
- updated tg3 to upstream version 3.96.
- updated ixgbe to upstream version 1.3.18-k4.
- updated bnx2 to upstream version 1.7.9.
- updated bnx2x to upstream version 1.45.23.
- fixed bugs and added enhancements for the NetXen NX2031 and NX3031
- updated Realtek r8169 driver to support newer network chipsets. All
variants of RTL810x/RTL8168(9) are now supported.
Storage Driver Updates:
- fixed various SCSI issues. Also, the SCSI sd driver now calls the
- fixed a dmraid reduced I/O delay bug in certain configurations.
- removed quirk aac_quirk_scsi_32 for some aacraid controllers.
- updated FCP driver on IBM System z systems with support for
- updated lpfc to version 184.108.40.206.
- updated megaraid_sas to version 4.01-RH1.
- updated MPT Fusion driver to version 3.12.29.00rh.
- updated qla2xxx firmware to 4.06.01 for 4GB/s and 8GB/s adapters.
- updated qla2xxx driver to version 8.02.09.00.04.08-d.
- fixed sata_nv in libsata to disable ADMA mode by default.
- upgraded OpenFabrics Alliance Enterprise Distribution (OFED) to version
- added driver support and fixes for various Wacom tablets.
Users should install this update, which resolves these issues and adds