PenTestIT RSS Feed
After a long hiatus, it's good to be back and posting about the latest Kali Linux 2017.3 release! The last Kali Linux release was made available a couple of months ago. Presumably, this new release includes all patches, fixes, updates, and improvements since the last release. Additionally, the kernel has also been updated to 4.13.10 along with updates for other tools such as Reaver v1.6.3, PixieWPS v1.3, Burp Suite v1.7.27, Cuckoo v2.0.4, The Social Engineering Toolkit v7.7.4, Veil 3.0and more!
What’s new in Kali Linux 2017.3?
The Kali Linux 2017.3 release has four new tools which focus on open source information (OSINT) gathering. These new tools are not included in the default installation but are available after running
apt update. The tools are:
- InSpy: InSpy is a small but useful utility coded in Python, that performs enumeration on LinkedIn and can find people based on job title, company, or email address. It has two utilities: TechSpy which crawls technology based LinkedIn job listings for a target company and EmpSpy crawls for employees working in the targeted company.
- CherryTree: CherryTree is a hierarchial not-taking application, which is very easy to use. It features syntax highlighting and easy storage of data.
- Sublist3r v1.0: Sublist3r is a great application that enables you to enumerate subdomains across multiple sources at once using OSINT techniques. It has integrated the venerable SubBrute, allowing you to also brute force subdomains using a wordlist.
- OSRFramework v6.0: Another excellent OSINT tool that has been added to the repos is OSRFramework, a collection of scripts that can enumerate users, domains, and more across over 200 separate services such as username checking, DNS lookups, information leaks research, deep web search, regular expressions extraction, and many others.
Whats more? The third Kali release in 2017 - Kali Linux 2017.3 release also includes some notable improvements such as:
- CIFS now uses SMB 3.0 by default
- EXT4 directories can now contain 2 billion entries instead of the old 10 million limit
- TLS support is now built into the kernel itself
Other bugs with OpenVAS 9 scheduled tasks, Maltego and Casefile transformations and slow Nmap 7.60 scans have also been fixed!
Download Kali Linux 2017.3:
As we all know, you can simply run apt-dist update && apt-get dist-upgrade to update to the latest Kali Linux version. However, if you want to download VMWare, VirtualBox, Hyper-V or ARM images (such as Kali-Linux-2017.3-vm-amd64.7z), simply go on to this page. Do not forget to check out the updated Kali Linux official documentation too! Also, don’t forget to check out the online version of Kali Linux Revealed book here.
The post UPDATE: Kali Linux 2017.3 Release! appeared first on PenTestIT.