Reporter NT Wako
A Major design Bug in Steganography 1.7.x, 1.8 (latest)
This material is presented for informational purposes ONLY. I do not condone or encourage vandalism or theft.
I do not accept any liability for anything anyone does with this information. So, don't shoot the messenger.
Remember: Use a computer in ways that ensure respect for your fellows.
Adonis a.K.a. NtWaK0
Abed a.K.a. NoPh0BiA
Steganography 1.7.1 and 1.8 (latest).
Bug Type and Date
Type: Very Bad Design
Cracking encrypted (steganography application 1.7.x 1.8) files without any bruteforce.
WHY LOSING TIME ON MATH AND BRUTEFORCE WHEN YOU CAN PLAY WITH YOUR HEX EDITOR :-).
Firstly, computer forensic investigators can take advantage of this bug to access file protected with (steganography application 1.7.x 1.8) without the knowledge of the original password. Now it is time to check your cold cases for steganography files.
You can crack (steganography application 1.7.x 1.8) encrypted files very easy, in fact in less than two minute. The problem is similar to the bug I found in PGP last year.
(steganography application 1.7.x 1.8) leave a footprint after you stag a file. If you look at the end of your stagged file you will notice it will end with 30 00 0X FF FF. So a simple HEX search will reveal all stagged files.
So now we have identified the stagged file our next step is to access the HIDDEN messages or files without cracking the password, here is how.
Proof-of-Concept (THIS WILL WORK ON HIDDEN MESSAGES and HIDDEN FILES)
For screen capture please check http://homepage.mac.com/adonismac/Advisory/steg/steganography.html
1. We use a file cover (carrier file) called "picture_original.jpg"
2. We will hide inside it a message "Hello Adonis"
3. We will use a password "aaaaaa"
4. We generated the steged file we will call it "picture_with_hidden_msg.jpg"
To access the hidden message WITHOUT the original password "aaaaaa" we will do the followings:
1. We will use any other picture file say "mypicture.jpg"
2. We will hide inside it a message "WHATEVER"
3. We will use a password "a"
4. We generate the steged file we will call it "mypicture_steg.jpg"
5. We will open Both pictures in a hex editor
6. We will replace the last 20 bites of " picture_with_hidden_msg.jpg" with the one from mypicture_steg.jpg
7. We will Save the picture "picture_with_hidden_msg.jpg"
8. We will open "picture_with_hidden_msg.jpg" with (steganography application 1.7.x 1.8) using "a" as password. YES we overwrite the password with something we know.
Simple hein !!!
Peace to you all
Copyright © 2007 Adonis a.K.a NtWaK0