Reporter Gentoo Foundation
Ruby on Rails is a web-application and persistence framework.
The following vulnerabilities were discovered:
- sameer reported that lib/action_controller/cgi_process.rb removes the :cookie_only attribute from the default session options (CVE-2007-6077), due to an incomplete fix for CVE-2007-5380 (GLSA 200711-17).
- Tobias Schlottke reported that the :limit and :offset parameters of ActiveRecord::Base.find() are not properly sanitized before being processed (CVE-2008-4094).
- Steve from Coderrr reported that the CRSF protection in protect_from_forgery() does not parse the text/plain MIME format (CVE-2008-7248).
- Nate reported a documentation error that leads to the assumption that a block returning nil passed to authenticate_or_request_with_http_digest() would deny access to the requested resource (CVE-2009-2422).
- Brian Mastenbrook reported an input sanitation flaw, related to multibyte characters (CVE-2009-3009).
- Gabe da Silveira reported an input sanitation flaw in the strip_tags() function (CVE-2009-4214).
- Coda Hale reported an information disclosure vulnerability related to HMAC digests (CVE-2009-3086).
A remote attacker could send specially crafted requests to a vulnerable application, possibly leading to the execution of arbitrary SQL statements or a circumvention of access control. A remote attacker could also conduct session fixation attacks to hijack a user's session or bypass the CSRF protection mechanism, or furthermore conduct Cross-Site Scripting attacks or forge a digest via multiple attempts.
There is no known workaround at this time.
All Ruby on Rails 2.3.x users should upgrade to the latest version:
# emerge --sync
# emerge --ask --oneshot --verbose ">=dev-ruby/rails-2.3.5"
All Ruby on Rails 2.2.x users should upgrade to the latest version:
# emerge --sync
# emerge --ask --oneshot --verbose "=dev-ruby/rails-2.2.3-r1"
NOTE: All applications using Ruby on Rails should also be configured to use the latest version available by running "rake rails:update" inside the application directory.