Reporter Cloud Foundry
USN-3083-1 Linux kernel vulnerabilities
Canonical Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Dmitry Vyukov discovered that the IPv6 implementation in the Linux kernel did not properly handle options data, including a use-after-free. A local attacker could use this to cause a denial of service (system crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2016-3841)
It was discovered that a race condition existed when handling heartbeat-timeout events in the SCTP implementation of the Linux kernel. A remote attacker could use this to cause a denial of service. (CVE-2015-8767)
Affected Products and Versions
Severity is high unless otherwise noted.
- Cloud Foundry BOSH stemcells (using the 3.19 kernel) are vulnerable, including:
- 3146.x versions prior to 3146.22
- 3232.x versions prior to 3232.20
- Other versions prior to 3262.15
Users of affected versions should apply the following mitigation:
- The Cloud Foundry team has released patched BOSH stemcells 3146.22, 3232.20, and 3262.15 with an upgraded 3.19 Linux kernel that resolves the aforementioned issues. We recommend that Operators upgrade BOSH stemcell 3146.x versions to 3146.22 OR 3232.x versions to 3232.20 OR 3262.x versions to 3262.15.