There is a vulnerability in the BEA WebLogic Server that could allow the unauthorized removal of an Enterprise JavaBean (EJB).
BEA Systems describes WebLogic Server as "an industrial-strength application infrastructure for developing, integrating, securing, and managing distributed Java applications." The WebLogic server supports the use of Enterprise JavaBean (EJB) applications. EJB is a component architecture used for building distributed, object-oriented business applications.
When designing an EJB application, there are various methods used to provide an interface with the WebLogic Server. There is a vulnerability in the way WebLogic Server handles calls to the
remove() method. When an application implements this
remove() method, the application can remove a stateful EJB object from a remote view even if that application does not have permission to remove it.
The BEA Security Advisory states that the following versions of WebLogic Server and Express are affected by this vulnerability:
* WebLogic Server and WebLogic Express version 8.1 through Service Pack 2, on all platforms * WebLogic Server and WebLogic Express version 7.0 through Service Pack 4, on all platforms * WebLogic Server and WebLogic Express version 6.1 through Service Pack 6, on all platforms
Enterprise JavaBean applications implementing the
remove() method could allow unauthorized users to remove EJB objects from remote views.
WebLogic Server and WebLogic Express version 8.1
1. Upgrade to WebLogic Server and WebLogic Express version 8.1 Service Pack 2.
2. Install the patch from: ftp://ftpna.beasys.com/pub/releases/security/CR134122_810sp2.jar
WebLogic Server version 8.1 Service Pack 3 will include the functionality in this patch.
WebLogic Server and WebLogic Express version 7.0
Upgrade to WebLogic Server and WebLogic Express version 7.0 Service Pack 5.
WebLogic Server and WebLogic Express version 6.1
1. Upgrade to WebLogic Server and WebLogic Express version 6.1 Service Pack 6
2. Install the patch from: ftp://ftpna.beasys.com/pub/releases/security/CR134122_610sp6.jar
WebLogic Server version 6.1 Service Pack 7 will include the functionality in this patch.
Filter by status: All Affected Not Affected Unknown
Filter by content: __ Additional information available
__ Sort by: Status Alphabetical
Updated: April 23, 2004
We have not received a statement from the vendor.
The vendor has not provided us with any further information regarding this vulnerability.
Please refer to BEA Security Advisory BEA04-57.00.
If you have feedback, comments, or additional information about this vulnerability, please send us email.
Group | Score | Vector
Base | |
Temporal | |
Environmental | |
This vulnerability was reported by BEA Systems Inc.
This document was written by Damon Morda.
CVE IDs: | None
Severity Metric: | 3.90
Date Public: | 2004-04-21
Date First Published: | 2004-04-23
Date Last Updated: | 2004-04-23 18:15 UTC
Document Revision: | 19