NOTE: This suggestion is for JIRA Server. Using JIRA Cloud? [See the corresponding suggestion|http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-34440].
JIRA has different behaviour for how it renders custom field descriptions and options depending on if it's running BTF or on OnDemand.
- On OnDemand, custom field descriptions are wiki markup, but on BTF they're HTML.
- On OnDemand, custom field options (e.g. for checkbox) are plain text, but on BTF they're HTML.
I propose we make BTF behave the same as OnDemand. The rational is:
- The differing behaviour introduces development and support costs, and makes it more difficult for users transitioning BTF ⇿ OnDemand.
- Supporting HTML enables XSS attacks.
- Supporting HTML for options causes problems for other features, e.g. charts (see attachment)